Friday, December 24, 2004
Fun Irelander Feature-Christmas Evil
'Twas an icy miserable day today as I made my way into the city centre.As if it wasn't bad enough that the bus I was on was full,when I got off I was greeted by some good old Irish rain.I knew I should have brought an umbrella...Oh well...
As I made my way through the rain I realised just how full town was.The place was packed.Some people will say that I shouldn't complain as I left my shopping too late and that it's my fault for being lazy.Personally,I like to think of myself as motivationally challenged but fair enough I probably shouldn't complain about the amount of people out and about however I am entitled to complain about the bad-mannered,ignorant individuals who inhabit this city!
As I walked along the streets of Dublin,particularly Henry Street,I found various types of people who have as much decency as a herd of donkeys.People like:
- The Cutters: I call these people 'cutters' as when you're walking down the street(in a straight line,naturally)these people will suddenly,without warning,cut right across you leaving you stood there annoyed and angry and questioning the state of humanity!
- The Slowpokes: You know the people I'm talking about.You're eager to get to some place and suddenly you're stopped by people who have the speed and gait of a tortoise.Encountering these people tests your patience to the max!
- The Chargers: These people are the exact opposite of the Slowpokes.They're so eager to get to their destination that nothing,not even you,will stand in their way.Look out if you see one of these people coming at you!If only they'd consider slowing down-that way I could give them a few digs for crashing into my shopping bags!
- Window Browsers: How irritating are thse people?They never watch where they're going.You are walking in a straight line and the person in front of you is instead looking at something in a window.They expect you to notice them despite the fact they won't notice you.One of these days I'm not going to step aside for these types and I'm going to walk right into them!It's the least they deserve!
- Phone people :These people irritate me the most.I'm not talking about people on their mobile phones talking,but people on their mobile phones texting.They walk along with the phone outstretched in front of them like some sort of symbol,like some sort of defiant statement and again expect you to notice them and move out of their way.These people infuriate me.They must think their phone is some sort of magic device akin to Moses' staff which parted the Red Sea.Likewise they expect their phones to part the crowds!One of these days I won't step aside!I won't!
I'm sure there are many more types that I haven't mentioned here.Overall I think what I've learned today is to definitely do your Christmas shopping a week or so in advance and not to leave it too late.Not because of the demand for items but because of the ill-mannered Dubs of this city who will depress you at this festive time!
Thankfully my mood is alot better now.I got some good items and what's more,I don't have to go back to Town for at least a couple of days!
Goodwill to all men!
© 2008 United Irelander.