Friday, August 26, 2005

 

Fun Irelander Feature-Destiny

I love Dublin. There are many things I love about being a Dubliner. The culture of the city, the hustle and bustle, the ways and mannerisms of the people, that feeling of superiority we have over other Irish people (yes, it exists), but with all that being said I feel there's one thing the people of Dublin lack - unity.

On the day of big GAA matches in Croker, after I finish bemoaning the extra presence in my local of the GAA fans from other counties, I often say to my friends, "You rarely see any county unity from Dubliners". And I think it's certainly an aspect that's lacking from us Dubliners. But it wasn't always like that. I can remember one year in particular when there was alot of Dublin unity, brotherhood and pride - 1995. The year we took Sam Maguire home.

People who are not Irish may wonder what the fascination is with the All-Ireland. Well, to be blunt, the greatest thing about winning the All-Ireland is knowing that you've mopped the floor with every other county in the island and that you've confirmed your superiority. That is why it has been terribly frustrating for us Dubs to watch the other pretenders be so successful. They're not really the greatest Irish county we all know that, but they can claim to be.

I am not a major GAA fan. In fact I can probably count on my hand the number of GAA footballers who play for Dublin. Jason Sherlock, Dessie Farrell (he must be what, fifty now?) and...er...well that's about it. With that being said, I think it's of great importance that tomorrow, Dublin take out Tyrone. It's ten years since our last win which means that we're surely destined to take Sam Maguire home like we did a decade ago. We earned ourselves a replay for tomorrow so surely Lady Luck is with us this year.

Tomorrow we must bring back the unity, brotherhood and pride to this county which is truly the greatest on the island. It's time for the Dubs to give Tyrone a kick up the backside so they leave Croke Park not only with red hands, but with red arses!

Come on you boys in blue! It's destiny!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.