Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 

Top Ten Tuesday - Irish pub songs

This might be a bit too 'Oirish' for some tastes but there's a fine line between Irish and Oirish and I think as long as you are aware of that, you avoid going into the Oirish territory! So with that being said, I thought I'd name my top ten Irish pub songs. Songs which are ideal to sing after you've downed a few pints, especially if you're in the country somewhere! So without further ado:

1. Danny Boy - The classic Irish song. Some people love this song, some people hate it. Personally I love it and I think Ronan Tynan does a great version of it.
2. Fields of Athenry - Another great song which has become synonymous with sporting occasions like football and rugby matches.
3 Molly Malone - Being a Dub, I was taught this in school as a kid and I think it's a great little tune.
4. When Irish Eyes Are Smiling - I like this tune but only if it's done by someone with a voice for the job.
5. God Save Ireland - You have to love the Wolfe Tones!
6. It's a long way to Tipperary - A classic tune. As far as I know, there are two versions. One describes places in Britain like Piccadilly with the other about New York. I think the former is the real version, though I may be mistaken. Great song though.
7. Irish Rover - You have to love The Pogues and The Dubliners too! Great rousing Irish song.
8. A nation once again - Another great song by the Wolfe Tones. I think it came top in a recent poll in Britain for best song though I believe this was largely due to some dubious voting.
9. Whiskey in the Jar - Has to be included. Classic tune by Thin Lizzy.
10. Dirty Old Town - Another classic tune from The Pogues.

So there you have it. My top ten favourite Irish pub songs. Feel free to comment on my choices or to offer some of your own.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.