Tuesday, March 21, 2006

 

Top Ten Tuesday - Simpsons characters

A classic...but it's shite nowI see US network Fox has commissioned another two new series for The Simpsons. The show, currently in its 17th season, is the longest-running prime-time entertainment show in America.

Personally I used to be a big fan of The Simpsons but I find it pretty much unwatchable now. I think the humour is almost non-existent at present and to be honest, I think it should have been put out to pasture long ago. Still, I enjoy watching the repeats whenever they are on such as the one where Homer is in space for example, and I have fond memories of all the episodes from that era. With that being the case, I thought I'd list off my top ten favourite Simpsons characters. So without further ado:

1. Homer Simpson - While I hate the current version of Homer who seems psychotic more than silly, I love the old Homer who was stupid in an endearing way.

2. Lionel Hutz - Lionel Hutz, attorney of law, is a great character. I always found him funny. "Mr Simpson don't you worry. I watched Matlock in a bar last night, the sound wasn't on but I think I got the gist of it."

3. Mr Burns - Mr Burns is great too. One of my favourite moments is when Smithers says, "Mr Burns to celebrate your birthday I've arranged for the people of Australia to spell out your name with candles. If you'll just turn your head slightly..." "Bah! No time"

4. Principal Skinner - Skinner is great as the uptight school principal. It's always a laugh to hear him reminisce about Vietnam.

5. Ned Flanders - Ned is such a brillaint and unique character. I love the episode where he and Homer become friends.

6. Grampa Simpson - Good old Abe is great fun ranting and raving about every little thing.

7. Bart Simpson - Again, the new version of Bart is too annoying for my liking but he was quite funny in the early nineties.

8. Patty and Selma - The world's biggest MacGyver fans. I think these two are hilarious when they're making Homer's life miserable. My favourite line from them is from a flashback episode when Homer says, "Don't worry kid when you come out the first thing you're gonna see is a man with a good job" to which they reply, "Yeah - a doctor!" Priceless.

9. Smithers - Waylon Smithers deserves a mention for his dry delivery. He has had some great lines over the years too.

10. Apu - Apu deserves a nod too. It's always fun to see him get robbed at the Kwik-E-Mart and I love the episode he is in with James Woods.

So there you have it. My top ten favourite Simpsons characters. I'm sure I've left out a few good ones. Feel free to comment on my choices or to offer up some of your own.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.