Monday, July 10, 2006

 

Monday Madness - I return...uh, again

Quite a lot of things have happened in my absence I see. Even so I'm finding it strange to be posting again because I haven't really missed posting...oh wait I've done one of these already. Silly me.

This is my attempt at returning properly so to speak and whenever I've returned from a good break off I've attempted to do things a bit differently. Some things will remain the same and as you've probably noticed by now, I have an interview with Senator Feargal Quinn lined up for this Wednesday.

With that being said though, I intend for there to be a few changes. To be honest over the last few weeks I've become quite disillusioned with the way my country is heading. For the sake of my blood pressure I'm glad I was away for some of the last few week's events. Perhaps my writing style will come to reflect my disillusionment with everything and you can probably expect a more cynical and pessimistic opinion on society. Hooray!

Some things did really disgust me over the last few weeks which I'd like to touch upon now. I know some of my opinions might prove upsetting for some of you but Article 40.6.1 of the Irish constitution does guarantee:

"The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions."

So unless Brussels has gots its claws on that I'm going to make the most of it.

I think what pissed me off most of all over the last few weeks was the State funeral and general adulation offered by many in the media and public to one of Ireland's greatest national disgraces, Charles Haughey. I've heard all the arguments to justify his State funeral. "Ah but he was Taoiseach so he deserved one" some say. What does that mean exactly? Does that mean a guy can become Taoiseach, act like a prick and still get a State funeral? Let's say a guy became Taoiseach, urinated in a bag and then proceeded to pour the contents of this bag over an old person's head - would that not then count against that person one day getting a State funeral? "Ah but he gave free travel to pensioners" some say. Yeah and Mussolini made the trains run on time. Big fucking deal. And that fucker got kicked around the streets instead of getting a State funeral. Haughey was a gangster and would have got twenty years in another sane country.




Shameful desecration of our flag



Another thing that pissed me off was the news that our TDs have decided to give themselves a 12 week summer recess. Shower of wasters.

Then in sport we had the disgraceful reaction by the English media to England's World Cup exit who have now effectively hounded Cristiano Ronaldo out of their country. Oh how dare Ronaldo point out to the referee that Wayne Rooney had STAMPED ON HIS TEAM MATE'S TESTICLES. Damn you, Ronaldo! Gimme a break. Then I read that they lost because of the Argentinian referee. It's all quite extraordinary really. Look, you lost because you were rubbish and had a rubbish manager. That's it. Seriously.

If that wasn't enough, I then read that Irish people support EU membership and its benefits more than ANY other people in Europe. Jeez isn't it great that we have such support for a Union that effectively PISSED ALL OVER Irish democracy after the Nice Treaty rejection? Isn't it great that we have such love and respect for a Union that took LEGAL ACTION AGAINST US for alleged breaches of environmental regulations? Luckily for us they recently decided to drop their legal cases against us. How can you not love 'em?

Wait, wait, wait...it gets better. The same EU (who we love remember) has given Ireland a deadline of three years for all Irish passports to include fingerprints from June 2009 under new measures designed to tackle international terrorism. What a comforting thought it is to know that Big Brussels will have my fingerprints on file. But I can't help thinking of that quote by one Benjamin Franklin:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Ah but what did he know, right? He wasn't even European! Haha...help us.

So yeah, a pretty annoying few weeks without a doubt. Issues affecting Ireland's north have been frustrating too strangely enough. It is my aim from now on however to give my thoughts and views on where I think Irish society is failing and failing badly. I believe there is an awful lot wrong with this country and an awful lot of people who are uninterested in saying anything about it.

It's high time people spoke out.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.