Friday, May 25, 2007

 

Gangsters set for another term

Well as the election results come through it's becoming more and more clear that - much to my disgust - Bertie Ahern and Fianna Fáil will be leading this country for the next number of years.

Fianna Fáil have defied the odds and could land over 80 seats. It is entirely possible as I write this that they could even end up with an overall majority which would be quite remarkable.

Fine Gael have made gains but Labour have struggled. The PDs have done badly, as have Sinn Féin and the Greens, and it appears the smaller parties have been the victims of the resurgence in the two big parties.

I must say I'm bitterly disappointed at the outcome of this election. As my father remarked to me earlier, "Bertie romped home eh? Just shows you how corrupt this country is." Indeed it does. I don't know what it is about Ahern but it seems like he can get away with anything in this country. He truly is the 'Teflon Taoiseach' because nothing sticks to him.

I didn't see Fianna Fáil doing this well at all and I expected the Greens to do better. The performance of Fine Gael and Labour has been pretty much what I expected. I also didn't buy into the hype about Sinn Féin taking 10+ seats and I was right as they have done poorly. Mary Lou MacDonald who was pushed heavily might not even take a seat which would be a big blow to Gerry Adams. Meanwhile Sinn Féin's Sean Crowe has lost his seat. The PDs have struggled as I expected.

I'll comment on this election more over the weekend when the results are counted but I have to conclude that Fianna Fáil's scaremongering over the economy has worked. As Bill Clinton famously remarked, "It's the economy, stupid" and the opposition parties should have done better in this area.

I feel a strong sense of sadness as I see Fianna Fáil cruising to victory in this election. Just like when Haughey was in power, the Irish people are being duped. Big time. The fools who re-elected this lot will regret it when the crises mount up. They broke their promises last time and they will break them again. It's what they do best.

I am reminded at this sad time of the words of the great American, Thomas Jefferson:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

Amen to that. The mob in this country are a right bunch of bloody idiots. You reap what you sow, folks.

Update - 8:50pm: Well here's a big casualty. Michael McDowell, leader of the PDs and the Tanaiste (Deputy Leader) of the country has conceded he has lost his seat. The PDs currently stand at 1 and have suffered a political hammering as I correctly predicted.

Is there any way back for the PDs? Doubtful.

On McDowell's departure from Irish politics, I for one won't be shedding any tears. Good riddance.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.